Friday 21 December 2012

You Me At Six- Loverboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFL9wRLpgng - Loverboy By You Me At Six

After analysing the bands digi-pak I thought it would be beneficial for myself and my group to analyse a video which links straight to the digi-pak as this illustrates a continuous theme.


Something which I really like about this music video is that it links directly to the digi-pak, therefore the audience then know the rest of the narrative behind the digi-pak. I could consider this with my own music video and digi-pak however I believe it would be difficult to do as our narrative will not include any members of the band and our target audience might not understand why we have used those images or think that the people in the narrative are part of the band.



This is a hybrid music video consisting of performance and narrative, as the narrative has already been slightly previewed in the digi-pak it is clear that the narrative is being interviewed in a police station. I like how the narrative and performance are separate but still slightly together because the location is the same for both, I think this helps the music video flow well and link together with the digi-pak nicely. When making my own I could have the narrative and performance link, however this does not generally happen in the indie rock music video’s therefore I would have to discuss with my group whether this is a convention we do or do not wish to follow.

I notice that there are very short close ups of the band and the instruments they play such as the drummer; I like this because that is what is been playing at that time in the song therefore helping the video and the song link well together, it also adds suspense because the audience want to know more about the narrative but are having to wait making them more interesting in the music video. As my band are new to the industry I could do this as a way of introducing all the band members and the instruments they play because then their target audience will know what each member of the band will look like, who they are and what they play.

I also like the way the band has used lighting in the video, as red can connote the devil and with the album being called ‘Sinners Never Sleep’ is creates the idea that they again are the sinners, from this I am now realising that they are making everything link with the digi-pak. I think this is good because it creates a package and the audience will understand everything being together. My narrative will be of someone having a bad day so to help everything relate to this theme I could have different images of either bad things (e.g. smoking, much like on the cover of the arctic monkey’s album) or screen shots from my own music video therefore everything will relate to one.



I particularly like the end shot of the video as it is almost a replica of the cover of the digi-pak, this means the audience will already recognize the image and know the band and the album its from even if they have never heard them before because it will be the same. I like how the band has done this because it means if the audience see the video before the digi-pak they’ll know it instantly or vice versa. I also like the colours in the shot because the audience are then able to visualise what the coloured copy of the digi-pak would look like as it is all in black and white, however I think the black and white looks better than colour because black and what contradict each other more and therefore makes the digi-pak stand out more because it drifts from conventions of the product, whereas the music video has kept to them, which is good because the audience can recognise it better however it means it is much the same as other videos. Therefore when making my own music video I could make some of it black and white because then it will be different to other indie rock music videos and therefore my target audience are more likely to remember it.

By Laura Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment