Thursday 20 December 2012

2nd Music Video Analysis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SxTyvOixJA 

This music video also comes under the indie rock genre and therefore I have chosen to analyse it because I can draw upon certain aspects that may be relevant to my music video.

I think that the narrative has been used cleverly in this music video. Because the audience are looking at the video from the boys point of view- and only his point of view, it makes it easier for them to relate to him. Whereas if there were to be several main characters the focus would have been taken off of him. For this reason I will make sure we have one actor for the narrative, and have all the other characters centred around him.

In terms of the type of this music video, you can see that it is clearly a hybrid of narrative and performance. I believe the reason behind this is because it makes the video more interesting than having just the band playing for the entire time, and it also splits the narrative up a bit keeping the audiences attention peaked. Although it will be a challenge I believe that this hybrid will be an sufficient choice in my music video.

Again in this music video there are many close ups of the lead singer. This backs up the idea that this is a conventional aspect of indie rock music videos; so I will ensure my music video includes multiple close ups on the lead singer.

In addition I noticed that there are many close and mid shots of the drummer performing. This implies that the drumming is a crucial part to an indie rock band therefore it has to be shown. Personally I think that the mid shots are ideal as they give the audience a good view of the drummer, yet they are close enough to see the emotions in the drummer's body language. Mid shots of the drummer will most definitely be seen in my music video as the drumming is more dominant than the guitar in particular moments in the song. I also believe that by adding these shots in our music video will begin to look more like an indie rock music video, therefore the target audience will be seeing what they want to and will be able to recognise the band in greater depth.

Bradley Norris

No comments:

Post a Comment