Monday 9 July 2012

Adele Someone Like you Swede Evaluation


We decided to look at Adele’s Someone Like You music video because it was simple and as this was our first time sweding we felt it would be best to choose a music video that was easy to copy exactly. What I liked about the music video was that it was mostly performance which meant that we were able to establish how specific moment and lip syncing is needed/ used in the music video. I also liked the background of the music video because it was simple but there was enough going on for the director to play with, this is something I would take into consideration when making my own music video because we could potentially create a hybrid for our music video of performance and narrative taking place that corresponds with the video. However what I did not like about Adele’s music video was that there were not many camera angles or shots which I think made the music video very boring therefore when creating my own music video I must make sure several camera shots and angles are used to keep it interesting to my target audience.

My group and I felt that this also needed to be taken into account when sweding this video because otherwise we would be unable to take a lot from the video as there was not much going on within it. What I have learnt from sweding is that timing is one of the most important aspects of creating a music video as to make it look realistic it must come across as a specific time of day as that can determine meaning. I have also learnt about editing a music video because my group and I had to make everything in sync with each other. The lip syncing was seen to be very difficult because sometimes the timings were not always the same causing us to have to re-film. Unfortuneately while editing our swede we realized that we had a section of the video miossing and therefore had to refilm it during school time meaning our setting was slightly different, however to avoid the clip looking too drastically different we chose to have the same costume and a close up on our actors face with a light background to resemble the sun. I believe that this clip works well because you cannot specifically see where the new clip has been inserted.

Mise-en-scene also had to be taken into account when looking at this video so when watching Someone Like you we wrote down everything you can see Adele wearing and how we can duplicate that, for example she wears a plain dark coat which we assume is black, but as the video is in black and white we established that it could just be a dark colour therefore we make sure that when our actor was in costume her coat was dark so it looked black when we changed the colour. We noticed that Adele’s hair is slightly pinned back and also as her hair is in almost loose curls therefore we had an actor who’s hair was long and not straight as we would just have to pin it back and thus have a very similar hair style to Adele. I realise that the reason Adele is dressed/ looks this way is to create a certain image to her target audience, which I believe to be that she is almost holding in her emotion slightly which is why she is walking but also in all dark clothing. I must take this into consideration when filming my band/ artist as they must present themselves in a way which will be approved by the target audience but also compliment the song.

By Laura Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment